PEBA Expansion Plans Divulged

Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#1 Post by Borealis »

by Francis Ferry, NLN baseball beat writer

October 30, 2028: Asheville, North Carolina – “The upside far outweighs the downside, in our opinions.” Commissioner ‘Harry’ Castle said as he came to the conclusion to his announcement, an announcement few – if any, had anticipated - that the PEBA was about to expand. Just five years after a potentially devastating contraction – brought about by a disagreement over money, it may be that same money that was the lure to return.

“We are confident that Manchester and Charleston will step into the fold and make our League stronger; richer. I like to see it as the first step in righting a wrong.”

The announcement rippled through the sports world in no time. The response from PEBA GMs was varied. Scottish GM Vic Caleca’s ‘Excellent!’ and Duluth’s Ricky McCoy’s “Awesome” were succinct. Others, Such as West Virginia’s Greg Abcarian were more concerned, “Too soon, in my opinion”, referring to concerns that the League had just fell into a calm equilibrium that expansion could threaten. Perhaps Yuma GM, Bob Mayberry – once word traveled to the Camarillo State Mental Hospital, said it best – in a hand-written note that somehow managed to find it’s way FAXed to the Asheville Hotel, “Well, ain’t that a thigh-grabber! Snuck up behind us and smacked us all in the fanny! Holy Mothers of Invention! Dig it, dudes.”

After the Commissioner’s announcement, the floor was opened to questions from the assembled press.

Hamish Campbell, of The Edinburgh News: “Now that the League has expanded back into two Imperial League markets, Harry, what can we expect the divisional make-up to be like?”

“These additions do more than just adding two teams. We will see a balancing of the PEBA as a whole, with 14 clubs in each League, that actually improves our division set-up in the IL.” Castle said “Starting with Amsterdam, who will be moving to the Trans-Atlantic, where they fit in more appropriately. Situated with London and Scotland, the Lions will see a reduction in travel times and costs now that half their division foes are in the same time zone – more or less.” Harry continued “Charleston will return to their Dixie home while Manchester will slide into the Seaboard, joining old division rival Arlington.”

Scott Plack, of The Cajun Chronicles: “These clubs lack a minor league structure in the WIL. What can we expect from the League and organizations to remedy this?”

Castle paused to sip his water before answering. “These clubs had minor league markets previously, and we’ve been able to secure much of those markets for the coming season. There were some touchy negotiations – New Brunswick, in particular had no interest in welcoming Manchester back to town. They are still angry about the stadium fund they were left holding when the Maulers fled to the WIL. Manchester has struck a deal with Iowa City to be home of their AAA club. Manchester’s AA team was previously in Hartford, and clearly there’s a conflict there. Mr. Bruto, subtle is his humor, has come to an agreement with Omaha to host his AA club. The Maulers will place their Short A club in Skagway, Alaska – a new location for a PEBA-related franchise. Manchester’s lone returning minor league locale will be Portsmouth.”

“Charleston will be much easier. Raleigh, Rockville and Sitka are all onboard and eager to bring minor league baseball to their communities. The only level Charleston need concern itself with is A Ball, and there is a tentative agreement for the club to be located in Tijuana, Mexico. The specifics of divisional placement within the Global Brotherhood, Great North, NAFTA and Surf and Snow are to be determined, and we will release the final plan at the Winter Meetings.”

Mandy Scott, of Warriors Beat: “So how do you intend to stock these teams with players? Can we expect that there will be an expansion draft?”

‘Harry’ Castle began, “Mandy, that’s a great question! First, we can put all the GMs fears to rest – there will not be an expansion draft. In negotiating with both Arturo and Charles, we made it clear – you already have a group of players on your payrolls – those are your ‘seed players’, so to speak. We have no interest in convincing our current GMs to fork up players to stock their teams.” With a stern look, he continued “Both owners expressed equity – there was the PEBA Contraction draft, they said, where they lost players to the PEBA, but for us, this was a deal breaker. It was a solid no on an expansion draft. We do not view this as an expansion – more like a reconciliation.”

“These teams will bring their 25-man rosters and Reserve rosters with them. There’s no shortage of free agents looking for a job. We are of the belief that those two forums will mostly fill their minors, as well as provide the potential for some solid major league talent.” Taking a moment to catch his breath, Castle continued “With the Rule 5 Draft coming after Christmas, it was agreed upon – a negotiated part of the plan, that Charleston will select 9th and Manchester 10th, in both the Rule 5 and the Amateur Drafts. The one point all parties agreed upon was nobody wants to see these clubs struggle and fail. Because Manchester and Charleston are mostly building a system from scratch, we will provide them an extra selection at the end of rounds 10-15, and then we will have a 10-round, post-draft draft for those clubs exclusively.”

Ray D. Enzé, of The Northern Lights News: “Why these extra selections? Don’t they have enough to choose from with the large number of free-agents?”

“Ray, the answer is simple – these clubs will basically be building their Short A clubs through the Amateur Draft. That’s 35 players. The larger number of late- and post-round selections provide the clubs with enough flexibility to draft for talent and positional need. It also allows teams to focus on their AAA, AA and A clubs going into the season. As I have said – there is no sense in bringing these clubs back to struggle for years. We can give them a fair start – it’s up to them to do something with it.”

Howard Heskin: of ‘Gnats Beat: “Is there any plan on the Leagues part to give these clubs any additional financial assistance? And will Charleston and Manchester benefit from Revenue Sharing this year?”

“Well, Howard, I’m glad you asked that. Manchester comes to us with a 2029 team budget set at $137M – which based on 2028, would have them at 22nd, behind Neo-Tokyo. Charleston comes to us with a 2029 budget set at $73M – which is nearly $40M less than Yuma’s League-low of $112M. We will grant the Statesmen a budget reprieve to $120M – which places them 26th in the League. Manchester will remain static. And, no Howard, the current Revenue checks will only go to our 2028 roster of teams.”

Francis Ferry, of The Northern Lights News: “Mr. Castle, you’ve talked about the many accommodations that the League is providing these clubs – are there any other financial opportunities these clubs are receiving?”

“Neither of these teams are entering the PEBA with bundles of cash. Both will have budgets in the lower 25% of the League. They are bringing players with them, who mostly were passed by by the PEBA – and yet the salary structure of the WIL created salary structures that were out of alignment with the PEBA – talent-to-talent, dollar-to-dollar. Manchester and Charleston will be allowed amnesty on two contracts of their choice – which they must identify prior to the Winter Meetings.”

Justice T. Buford, of F-Head Minor League Blog: Aren’t you afraid you have given too many concessions to these teams?

“Justice, this is our view. A PEBA team has 142 players on their 5-Organizational rosters. That’s a lot. They’ll cost money. We are working towards assuring these teams have the financial where withal to be able to build an organization. Sure, the benefits in the draft may give them a slight edge when it comes to finding that diamond in the rough – but that draft will be their Short A club. How realistically will our current Membership suffer? After the first couple of rounds… Probably not much. Will there be grumblings? No doubt. But we feel this is in the best interests of the League. As in business – and isn’t this a business? Growth is a good thing. In the grand scheme of things, some draft concessions and passing on a couple of contracts seems like mild concessions.”

With that, the PEBA Commissioner bade the crowd goodnight, and left the stage.
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
DrewV
Triple-A
Triple-A

Re: PEBA Expansion Plans Divulged

#2 Post by DrewV »

Excellent, excellent.

I can picture Bob wheeling past a complacent nurse to fire off a fax in his bath robe before the staff knows he's in there...
Drew Visscher (GM Ricky McCoy) | Duluth Warriors
Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Ghosts »

;-D Big thumbs up on how this expansion is being handled. If we were to ever expand again, I'm sure I would like to know that were happening with as much notice as possible. This plan obviates the need for planning on the part of other clubs, so kudos!

Welcome to our new clubs!
Dan Vail
Bakersfield Bears 2028-2030
Niihama-shi Ghosts 2010, 2031-current
Vic
Triple-A
Triple-A

#4 Post by Vic »

I applaud the transparency, and look forward to welcoming our new GMs. Good news about balancing out the divisions, too. Welcome, Amsterdam, to the Trans Atlantic thunderdome!
Vic Caleca
Scottish Claymores
Malts
Little Leaguer
Little Leaguer

#5 Post by Malts »

Claymores wrote:I applaud the transparency, and look forward to welcoming our new GMs. Good news about balancing out the divisions, too. Welcome, Amsterdam, to the Trans Atlantic thunderdome!
I think everyone in the Amsterdam organization is thrilled to hear the news as that just means a substantial reduction in travel for the coming years. No longer will we have to cross the Atlantic Ocean just to play our divisional away games.

But it seems we are moving into just as good of a division so we will continue to have the work cut out for us!
Ryan Vail
Madison Malts
Arroyos
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Arroyos »

Warriors wrote: I can picture Bob wheeling past a complacent nurse to fire off a fax in his bath robe before the staff knows he's in there...
Oh, if only I could wheel so sneakily! Nope, the only way I get to fire off messages is with the help of a compliant--rather than complacent-- nurse. She's a gem, once stole a cell phone for me so I could complete a trade! Now she leaves the computer on and logged in when she goes to the toilet, and I just wheel into the nurse's station and send my email.

Faxes? Who uses faxes anymore? I don't even know how. I'm not sure there's a fax machine in the hospital. I'll have to check. Maybe I can fax an obscene photo to the Yuma Consortium of Owners, especially that Emma Span. She refuses to acknowledge that Pam Postema has been running the club since my latest incarceration. Keeps Postema on as Acting GM just so she, Span, won't have to pay her my salary. Someone's skimming off the top of the Dozer budget, and it sure as hell ain't me! :shake:
Bob Mayberry
Yuma Arroyos
joined 1 April 2010

Return to “League News and Articles”