Triple-A
Triple-A

This Week in The Trans Atlantic: Opening Week 2028

#1 Post by Vic »

This Week in the Trans Atlantic

By Hamish Campbell
The Edinburgh News
04-09-2028

Opening week in the Trans Atlantic Division saw no-hit thrills, seven-homer excitement, risks succeed, risks fail, old faces in new roles, new faces in new roles, and old faces in their usual roles.

In short, it was pretty much everything a baseball fan – especially a Trans Atlantic fan - could want.

No-hit Wonder
Fernando Castro, an unheralded rookie for the San Juan Coqui, unspooled a no-hitter in his first big-league start on April 7, narrowly missing a perfect game against the baffled lineup of the San Antonio Calzones of Laredo.

The only base runner Castro allowed, in fact, was a one-out walk to third baseman Adrián Fuentes in the top of the eighth inning. The 24-year-old right-hander struck out three.

Castro battled another rookie, the Calzones’ León Gil, to a scoreless tie through five innings in front of 52,556 screaming fans in San Juan’s PRTC Stadium. The Coqui finally broke through with three runs in the sixth, adding five more in the eighth en route to an 8-0 victory.

“I had my good stuff and good movement. Good location, too,” Castro told BNN after the game. “Even when I made a mistake, I got away with it today.”

His opponents could only shake their heads.

“Anybody who told you they saw this coming is a liar,” one frustrated Calzone batter said on his way out of the clubhouse. “I mean, he was in the minors last year and he wasn’t even especially good. My hat’s off to him, though. He pitched a hell of a game.”

Indeed, he did.

Blazing Start
While we’re basking in that San Juan sunshine, let’s take another moment and consider the otherworldly season start by another Coqui newcomer, right fielder Mike Rose.

What’s he done that’s so special? Try seven home runs – one in each of San Juan’s first seven games.

He’s notched 15 RBIs along the way, while putting together a miraculous slash line of .423/.500/1.269. And, with the season just a week old, he’s already produced 1.2 WAR.

Impressive as this is, it shouldn’t come as a total shock. Rose had minor league seasons where he hit 42, 41 and 30 homers.

Of course, at his current rate, he'll put those seasons to shame. His projected season home run total as of today is 162 …

A Risk Pays Off
Meanwhile, in Havana, a controversial outfield move appears to be paying huge dividends.

Claudio Hernández, a 26-year-old rookie from Panama who displaced veteran Motoki Suzuki in right field, broke fast out of the gate for the Leones, putting together a .346/.433/.538 slash line.

“No one knows anything about his background,” said one veteran scout for another Trans Atlantic team. “But wow. That kid is something else.”

As for Suzuki? Hitless in one at-bat for the week. He’s not saying a thing to reporters, but there’s talk – understandably – in the clubhouse that he’s not happy.

Will the Leones find a role for their 8-year veteran, or will they need to make a move?

Stay tuned …

Veteran face, new role
A few observers, this reporter included, wondered whether Francisco Robles was really suited for the top of the Scottish rotation. Although “Yogi,” as he’s known to teammates, had that kind of production early in his career, recent seasons have pointed more towards a fit in the No. 3 or 4 starter slot.

Even so, there's little question that he is the class of a pretty pedestrian Claymores’ starting staff. So, to the top of the rotation he went.

How’s that working out?

Yogi won his first two starts with solid but unspectacular numbers (3.46 ERA, 7 strikeouts), and filled the role pretty darn well.

“What do you ask of your staff ace?” mused manager Hayato Sasaki. “You ask him to win. You ask that the team be confident every time he takes the mound. Francisco has done just that. This talk that he is not worthy of the role can please stop now.”

Well, that’s about the nicest “shut up, jerk” this correspondent has ever received. Consider that talk stopped … for now, at least.

New Face, New Role, New Struggles
Meanwhile, in London, the Underground’s flashy last-minute signing of Clark Snow to be the team’s new ace has turned to slush … so far, at least.

The veteran right-hander, who played the last two seasons for the Aurora Borealis, had a rocky start. He was shelled for six runs in 5.1 innings on opening day against Havana, then came back against the Florida Featherheads on April 8 and gave up four runs on nine hits in five innings.

Snow’s stat line so far: 0-2 with an 8.71 ERA, and a 1.74 WHIP.

Ouch.

Still, scouts for London’s division rivals said that’s not the Clark Snow they expect to see through the balance of the season.

“A new city, new pressures … I think it all got to him a little bit,” one scout said. “But he’ll pull out of it. His career suggests he’ll be a solid, if unspectacular, performer. I’d be very surprised if his whole season turned into a Dumpster fire like this.”

Underground fans certainly hope that’s true – as does team management, which signed him to a $5.1 million contract on April 3.

TWITA NOTES: In all the excitement over that incredible start by Mike Rose in San Juan, don’t sleep on the amazing power numbers put up by one of his teammates, catcher Jesús Negrete. He hit “just” five homers in seven games. Three of them came in one game, the 18-5 rout of the Claymores. Those three homers tied the all-time Imperial League record for dingers in a game … Speaking of not snoozing on someone, keep an eye on Havana 1B Ira Murdoch, who also smashed five homers in his first week … In Scotland, you might be wondering about Soichiro Ogawa, the young relief pitcher inserted in the starting rotation by GM Vic Caleca over the objections of his new manager, Hayoto Sasaki. Well, San Juan torched Ogawa for seven runs in four innings, for a season-starting 15.75 ERA. Perhaps Sasaki had a point? … How they stand: On the morning of April 10, it’s San Juan 5-2; Havana 4-3; Scottish 4-3; London 2-5 … Lastly, what’s TWITA stand for? This Week in the Trans Atlantic, of course. See you next week!
Last edited by Vic on Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Vic Caleca
Scottish Claymores
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star
Location: Spokane, Washington State, United States of America

Re: This Week in The Trans Atlantic: Opening Week 2028

#2 Post by Sandgnats »

Nice to see Yogi still hanging in there. :clap:
RJ Ermola
Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Borealis »

That was an Amazing write-up Vic!! It has me craving more!!
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Leones
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Leones »

Borealis wrote:That was an Amazing write-up Vic!! It has me craving more!!
Yeah that is an impressive effort! Nice job writing all that up....
Patrick Hildreth
- La leña roja tarde pero llega

Fishermen
Double-A
Double-A

#5 Post by Fishermen »

I rejoined the PEBA because I was missing writing like this. The league has always had a history of fine writing and it’s good to see the newer GM’s carry on that tradition
Andy (Sim, Chaan-Shu)
GM Gloucester Fishermen
MikeB
Triple-A
Triple-A

#6 Post by MikeB »

Love the media attention.
Mike Best
San Juan Coqui
Vic
Triple-A
Triple-A

#7 Post by Vic »

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. I found putting this together to be A) lots of fun, and B) incredibly immersive.

Amazing how attached you can get to imaginary players once you create little back stories for them, look up their histories from past years, and follow their exploits week to week. I actually watched replays of the Claymores' games (plus the San Juan no-hitter). Pretty cool.

Plus, this let me indulge a lifelong fantasy of being a baseball beat writer.
Vic Caleca
Scottish Claymores
Fishermen
Double-A
Double-A

#8 Post by Fishermen »

I’ve always gravitated towards writing leagues because of the immersion. When you research your articles or are looking for ideas to write about you learn so much about your team & the league and with a heavy writing league like PEBA as Vic says it is like actually being there. Ron Collins wrote an excellent book about the league and if you gathered up all the blogs and tidied them up there would be several more very readable books. If you showed those to people who knew nothing about baseball they just wouldn’t believe they weren’t written about real baseball
Andy (Sim, Chaan-Shu)
GM Gloucester Fishermen
Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by Reg »

Loving this analysis of the Trans-Atlantic Division! Great one again, Vic!
Harpoon wrote:(...) Ron Collins wrote an excellent book about the league (...)
...and here is a link to said book, which is a pretty neat little piece of PEBA history to have!
Reg LeBlanc
General Manager, New Orleans Trendsetters
(2021 - 2037)
Vic
Triple-A
Triple-A

#10 Post by Vic »

Thanks, Reg. That’s amazing. I just ordered the book. Perhaps, as Nigel says, there’s at least a Vol. 2 in here somewhere...
Vic Caleca
Scottish Claymores
Fishermen
Double-A
Double-A

#11 Post by Fishermen »

My money's on Mike, his Aurora Storialis blog is a great read and in my opinion would make a great book if it was edited as such
Andy (Sim, Chaan-Shu)
GM Gloucester Fishermen
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#12 Post by Borealis »

I believe somewhere here Yuma Bob floated a comment about putting his whole 'GM in the Mental Hospital' story into a published book... That's the truly sculpted bit of writing!! Ron's was great - and of course a pro, but for my money - creativity, prose, Yuma Bob, hands down!!

But thanks for the shout-out Nigel - I think the George Crocker Odyssey is the best of my stuff... that's the elements of #16 in my Aurora space... should you be so inclined...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Fishermen
Double-A
Double-A

#13 Post by Fishermen »

That looks really good Mike, I hope to get time to read it soon. I'm much more into Audiobooks these days though, you could of course always record it for me :lol: :lol:

Just looking at the whole layout though I'm sure that would make a great book, snappy title too ;-D "Elements of #16"
Andy (Sim, Chaan-Shu)
GM Gloucester Fishermen
Arroyos
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#14 Post by Arroyos »

Borealis wrote:I believe somewhere here Yuma Bob floated a comment about putting his whole 'GM in the Mental Hospital' story into a published book... That's the truly sculpted bit of writing!! Ron's was great - and of course a pro, but for my money - creativity, prose, Yuma Bob, hands down!!
Thank you, Michael (he wrote, blushing).
Bob Mayberry
Yuma Arroyos
joined 1 April 2010

Return to “League News and Articles”