Lions' New General Manager Glover: Eccentric or Charlatan?

Malts
Little Leaguer
Little Leaguer

Lions' New General Manager Glover: Eccentric or Charlatan?

#1 Post by Malts »

HET PAROOL

SPORTS SECTION: BASEBALL

By Thijs Stoop

March 6, 2019: Amsterdam, The Netherlands – Not all was quiet in Amsterdam this winter. After a relatively subdued off-season the Lions hired new general manager Kyle Glover. Access to Glover was relatively easy, he has instructed the public relations department to create more transparency within the organization. Glover reached out via email to say “reaching out to our fans through the media and internet will hopefully increase the fan base.” The conversation with the new GM was interesting and showed his unorthodox character. He granted a short interview via email.

Addressing the impact of the internet he stated that it “played an instrumental role in undermining typical power structures within global society.” When asked what that had to do with running a baseball team he mentioned that “baseball operations usually follow a corporate, hierarchical structure. If we are going to embrace the newest technology and thinking behind baseball, we need to not ossify in the way that typical hierarchies do. We need to be fluid in our choices and embrace the connectedness of fans to the team through technology.”

A former statistical analyst and researcher, Glover said he was transformed by embracing certain Eastern philosophical ways of thinking: “I think there is much for our team to be improved by adopting a Zen mentality. If I have to bring in some martial arts experts or yoga instructors to improve on mindfulness, I’ll do it. You have to find a new edge wherever you can, I mean, it wasn’t that long ago people thought putting a fast guy at the top of the lineup was more important than someone who can get on base. Major League Baseball was on the verge of a stats revolution before it collapsed. I want to bring that innovation here, but go beyond mere mathematics.”

When asked of the prospects for the team this year he seemed to dodge the question. “There are some talented players here. Obviously, the team struggled last year. I didn’t bring these players in and we are still forming a relationship. I stressed to the players that my office is always open and I expect that of management throughout this organization. We are going to change the culture here first. We’re going to grow this organization like a tree – strong roots in fertile soil and reach for the sky.”

In addressing the prospect of changes for the team he was once again reticent to give an answer. While not fully acknowledging wholesale changes are coming he gave a somewhat cryptic response: “I embrace change, but I understand it can be hard. People are on this team because they are talented, hardworking individuals and fans form attachments to them. But we are going to flow like a river here, you can’t grasp running water in your hands.”

While Glover often gives esoteric or gnomic responses to questions those who have worked with him in the past paint a different picture of the new general manager. Reaching out to former colleagues they write of a determined and even fierce man. Anonymously a former coworker told us, “everyone learned not to mess with Glover. He has that New Age persona, but he’s a competitor.” With the start of spring the Lions look to rebound from a steak of losing seasons under their new eccentric general manager.
Ryan Vail
Madison Malts
Vic
Triple-A
Triple-A

Re: Lions' New General Manager Glover: Eccentric or Charlata

#2 Post by Vic »

I think if I were the team comptroller, I’d be a little worried that some of the Lions’ season ticket revenue might be flowing like a river into that new GM’s Swiss bank account ...

Outstanding introduction. I look forward to more philosophical musings!
Vic Caleca
Scottish Claymores
Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Reg »

This is fantastic! :bang:
Brilliant article!

(for the first time in my PEBA tenure, I whipped out Google Translate for a translation of the title of this article! This is great!)
Reg LeBlanc
General Manager, New Orleans Trendsetters
(2021 - 2037)
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Borealis »

Super opener Kyle!!! Another potentially feisty GM - Battle Lines are being drawn back in the board rooms... (though don't tell anyone it's 2028... sssshhhhhhhh)...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions

Return to “League News and Articles”