Denny
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Codgers Make Managerial Change for 2026

#1 Post by Denny »

Codgers Make Managerial Change for 2026

By Scott Vosper, Palm Springs Semaphore
January 4, 2026

There's a new sheriff in town here in Palm Springs.

The Codgers, Palm Springs' long-time franchise in the Planetary Extreme Baseball Alliance, have hired veteran manager John McLaughlin to lead the club next season. The hiring, which took place on December 10 of last year, was formally announced in a press conference today.

"We're just super darned excited to have him here running the show," enthused Palm Springs General Manager Denny Hills. "We've had our eye on him for a long time, that, uh....guy we hired. Yessir, Ol' Whats-his-face here was at the top of our list."

For the past three seasons McLaughlin has managed the Niihama-shi Ghosts of the rival World Independent League, where he was named Manager of the Year in 2025 after leading the Ghosts to a first-place finish. His contract with Palm Springs runs through 2030 and will pay him $514,000 annually.

McLaughlin replaces Alfred Waters, whose Codgers contract was not renewed after the season, despite having led Palm Springs to the playoffs in 2024 for the first time in over a decade. He compiled a win-loss record of 170-154 in his two years managing the club after being elevated from pitching coach to the top spot.

"Boy, funny, funny story on that one," chuckled GM Hills. "Apparently you have to do something called a 'contract extension' so people will keep working for you!" He guffawed, wiping tears from his eyes. "Isn't that crazy? Hoo, yeah, I had never heard of it either."

After composing himself the GM went on. "So, Alfred's contract expired and he left the team," Hills continued. "Then when we tried to hire him back later he was mad and said he had no desire to work for us. Jeez, man, lighten up! Am I right?" Hills looked expectantly into the crowd, which remained stonily silent.

"Turns out this kind of thing happens a lot," the GM continued. "Apparently we were supposed to do this extension thing with our hitting coach, too. He went and got another job with some garbage team in the IL," he scowled. "So we still have, an, um, opening in that spot, if, uh, any of you out there knows anybody and wanted to just, uh, let me know, that'd be great."

"Anyway, screw those guys," Hills scowled. "We're looking to the future here, withhhhhhh....this guy!" he exclaimed, pointing at McLaughlin with two finger guns.

"You know, I don't mind if no one knows my name," said McLaughlin, with a meaningful glance at his new GM. "I believe in sabermetrics, and I'd like to think I have carved out a good reputation, but I prefer to just work hard and stay under the radar."

Time will tell if that is enough in a place like Palm Springs.
Denny Hills
O.C. (Original Codger)
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star
Location: Spokane, Washington State, United States of America

Re: Codgers Make Managerial Change for 2026

#2 Post by Sandgnats »

Staff issues... :shake:
RJ Ermola
Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*
Leones
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Leones »

We're willing to part with our recently acquired Hitting Coach. He says he misses the Codgers.

-yours, "some garbage team in the IL" :grin:
Patrick Hildreth
- La leña roja tarde pero llega

Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star
Location: Spokane, Washington State, United States of America

#4 Post by Sandgnats »

:lol:
RJ Ermola
Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Borealis »

Well, it shouldn't be a surprise the Codgers would forget something - dementia et al...

As for that 'garbage team in the IL'? Nice banner there!!! I miss the Edo logo...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Denny
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Denny »

Leones wrote:We're willing to part with our recently acquired Hitting Coach. He says he misses the Codgers.

-yours, "some garbage team in the IL" :grin:
I thought you might enjoy that line :D
Denny Hills
O.C. (Original Codger)
Leones
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Leones »

Borealis wrote:... Nice banner there!!! I miss the Edo logo...
Morris did a great job making the banners! That was a pretty good logo. I still have the world's only Edo Battousai baseball cap. Might have to break it out!
Patrick Hildreth
- La leña roja tarde pero llega

MikeB
Triple-A
Triple-A

#8 Post by MikeB »

I did have a hitting coach at Santa Domingo a year ago who thought enough of himself to refuse to sign at AAA. He seemed to do a really good job...I can't remember his name. :lol:
Mike Best
San Juan Coqui
Denny
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by Denny »

Coqui wrote:I did have a hitting coach at Santa Domingo a year ago who thought enough of himself to refuse to sign at AAA. He seemed to do a really good job...I can't remember his name. :lol:
Would that be Ryo Terada, by chance? If so, it looks like he did indeed step up to the big time, landing a job as the hitting coach for Toyama last season.
Denny Hills
O.C. (Original Codger)

Return to “League News and Articles”