Vic
Triple-A
Triple-A

This Week In The Trans Atlantic: Week Two 2028

#1 Post by Vic »

By Hamish Campbell
The Edinburgh News
04-19-2028

From blast-furnace hot to deep-freeze cold, it helped to have a durable thermometer to keep track of Trans Atlantic Division (TAD) performances in the second week of the regular season.

One early trend has emerged, though, that has left TAD fans willing to shrug off April chills: the division looks significantly better than last season’s moribund doormat. In fact, through the second week, the Trans Atlantic is the winningest division in the Imperial League with 28 total wins compared to 26 for the Dixie and 24 for the Seaboard.

That’s reflected in the weekly BNN team power rankings, too. TAD teams hold three of the top five IL spots in the rankings (San Juan 2, Havana 3 and Scotland 5). Fast breaking New Orleans, at 10-3, leads the pack, of course.

Does this mean the Trans Atlantic has come in from the dismal cold of last season’s futility? Well, slow your roll there, buddy. It’s a little early to make those kinds of sweeping pronouncements.

But it’s at least safe to say the division’s barometer is on the rise.

Here are a few week two items of note:

Blazing Hot
After a scorching first week of the season in which he slashed .500/.542/.864, Claymores LF José Guillén actually warmed up a bit over the past seven days – to the point that he won the most recent IL Premier Player of the Week award.

After collecting 13 hits in 23 at bats in week two, Guillén’s line now reads .533/.553/.867, with four homers and 11 RBI on the season. He’s leading both leagues in batting average, on-base percentage, and batting average plus slugging, and is tied for the lead at WAR (1.2) with Alex Bothwell of Okinawa.

This has raised a few eyebrows around Edinburgh, given that Guillén had a thoroughly lackluster spring with a .232 BA and .328 OBP.

His explanation following opening week was that spring training games aren’t real and he’s only motivated by regular season reality. He’s sticking with that explanation:

“Week two was even realer than week one,” he said with a wink to the assembled press corps.

Not sure realer is an actual word, José, but whatever works.

Bracing Cold
The Hall of Fame committee might want to hold up on casting that plaque for Coqui RF Mike Rose.

After mashing seven home runs in seven games to open the season, Rose didn’t leave the yard at all last week. In fact, he managed just two hits in 21 at bats for San Juan, which saw his .423/.500/1.769 slash line drop to .283/.370/.783.

Of course, that’s still eminently respectable – just not first ballot HOF material.

“It’s a long season,” Rose said, trying (unsuccessfully) to keep from rolling his eyes at the suggestion his slump was cause for concern. “There will be ups and downs, and now I’ve had a taste of both. We’ll get back on track. Don’t worry. We’re not even close to being out of April, yet.”

Whether Rose can generate another power surge or not, one things’s for certain:

The man can read a calendar.

Power Station
You wanna talk power, eh? Then head on down to Havana and watch Leones 1B Ira Murdoch and CF Maxine Plamondon rake for awhile.

They’re tied with Rose for the Planetary Extreme Baseball Alliance lead in homers at 7 each, while Plamendon is tied with Rose for No. 2 in RBIs at 17. Murdoch ranks just behind them, tied for fourth at 15 RBI with Andres Hernandez of the Shin Seiki Evas.

What’s it add up to?

“A lineup no one in the Imperial League really wants to face,” said a scout for one of Havana’s division rivals. “Those two are enough to give any pitcher the Heebie Jeebies.”

Even though he appears to be channeling his inner 1920s slang dictionary, the man’s point is well taken.

Murdoch and Plamondon are a power source to be reckoned with.

Stopping the Bleeding
London Underground fans had to be breathing a sigh of relief after their team’s win against the West Virginia Alleghenies on April 14.

Why? Because Clark Snow, one of London’s splashier free agent signings this past off season, turned in a credible 2-run, 6-inning performance to notch a win after two disastrous week one outings.

The Underground won the game 4-2, and Snow raised his record on the season to 1-2 with a 6.61 earned run average.

Sounds dreadful, right? Well, consider that going into that start, he stood at 0-2 with an 8.71 ERA and there were rumblings that London had wasted $5.2 million.

Well, hush up, doubters. Two games do not a season make.

“Why react when you can overreact, right?” Snow said of his critics after the game. “Come back to me in September, and let’s see how things stand.”

Done and done.

TWITA NOTES: Yeong-hun Kim smacked the Claymores’ first grand slam of the young season in the seventh inning of Scotland’s April 15 11-3 win against New Orleans. Kim also had a two-run double in the fourth, making for a 6-RBI outing. It was especially notable because Kim’s playing time has been sparse – just four games and 14 plate appearances so far … Meanwhile, San Juan starter Hou Hau turned a few heads in week two by notching two wins and running his season record to 3-0 with a 1.29 ERA. How They Stand: On the morning of April 17, it’s Havana 8-5, San Juan 8-5, Scotland 7-6, and London 5-8. Lastly, see you next week!
Vic Caleca
Scottish Claymores
Leones
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: This Week In The Trans Atlantic: Week Two 2028

#2 Post by Leones »

I really enjoy reading these. Concise and broad scoped at the same time. These has been go to reading for me even before checking the league file. Nice job again!
Patrick Hildreth
- La leña roja tarde pero llega

Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Borealis »

Excellent work!! I'm enjoying the insight into the Inferior League!!
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Vic
Triple-A
Triple-A

#4 Post by Vic »

Borealis wrote:Excellent work!! I'm enjoying the insight into the Inferior League!!
Hey, wait a minute. I resemble that remark!
Vic Caleca
Scottish Claymores
Fishermen
Double-A
Double-A

#5 Post by Fishermen »

I’d like to be that concise lol, I always ramble on. Start off trying to do a couple of solid paragraphs and end up a couple of hours later with two pages. Keep up the good work.
Andy (Sim, Chaan-Shu)
GM Gloucester Fishermen
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Borealis »

Claymores wrote:
Borealis wrote:Excellent work!! I'm enjoying the insight into the Inferior League!!
Hey, wait a minute. I resemble that remark!
Just a little Inter-League rivalry...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions

Return to “League News and Articles”