Charleston Times blog

DavidB
Little Leaguer
Little Leaguer

Charleston Times blog

#1 Post by DavidB »

Charleston Times reporter Charles Asnotalent had a quick question and answer session with new Charleston Statesmen GM Dave Barnett.

CA: So how are you settling in to the Charleston hot seat?

DB: Some of it has been easier than I thought, whilst other parts have not gone as planned.

CA: Is that your disagreement with the owner you are talking about?

DB: Yes, I think his memory is going. I told him when I took the job that success will take time as the team was in an awful state. Getting things right is the only way forward.

CA: You have brought in some 27 free agents, did the team need that many?

DB: Definitely. We have nothing to loose and every player will have a chance to stake a claim for a place on the ML team.

CA: You also seem to be selling off some top prospects, why?

DB: Sometimes certain players don't suit the way forward for the team and those players didn't fit the mould we wanted. The draft is a crap shoot but hopefully we can replace those players traded with better potential players.

At this point the GM had to cut the interview short as the trade phone was ringing. I asked if another trade was in the works but were politely ushered out by security women. Yes I did say women, supposedly the GM wanted to have a gender neutral office, but strangely there ere no other men around.
David Barnett
GM Scottish Claymores
DrewV
Triple-A
Triple-A

Re: Charleston Times blog

#2 Post by DrewV »

Lots of hard work from Charleston in the FA! I was gunning for Cleve Douglas for a hot minute.

Excited to see your great buildup begin!
Drew Visscher (GM Ricky McCoy) | Duluth Warriors
Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Reg »

Lots of moving and shaking in the Charleston office! Excited to see how the team builds up.
Reg LeBlanc
General Manager, New Orleans Trendsetters
(2021 - 2037)
Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Ghosts »

The Statesmen's free agent assault left the Bears in the dust! I was looking at Cleve Douglas and Elizarraraz, and then they were in Charleston uniforms before I blinked.

Looking forward to seeing how the team comes together!
Dan Vail
Bakersfield Bears 2028-2030
Niihama-shi Ghosts 2010, 2031-current
Leones
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Leones »

Charleston on the move! Who's on the phone?
Patrick Hildreth
- La leña roja tarde pero llega

DavidB
Little Leaguer
Little Leaguer

Re: Charleston Times blog 23/7 edition

#6 Post by DavidB »

Charleston Times reporter Charles Asnotalent had a quick question and answer session with Charleston Statesmen GM Dave Barnett.

CA: so we are a quarter way through the season, how do you think tings are going.

DB: I am surprised we are third in the division. The pitchers are doing fine and the batters are doing as expected in our pitcher friendly park.

CA: Do you think you can hold onto 3rd place?

DB: We will give it our best shot. Would be nice as an expansion team not to finish bottom of the division.

CA: Are you excited for the upcoming draft?

DB: Excited is not the word I would use. It doesn't look a strong or deep draft so we need to be extremely careful with our picks. Ok, everyone is in the same boat but we must do better with our picks than everyone else. I have our draft team locked in the basement and they better come up with good picks or they wont be coming out.

CA: Your joking, aren't you?

With that the GM gave an evil smile and said it was best to finish there. He did however invite me back for a draft review. For the draft team, I hope they perform above and beyond what the gm expects.
David Barnett
GM Scottish Claymores
DrewV
Triple-A
Triple-A

#7 Post by DrewV »

Well done! Thrilled for your good start. Your hard work this offseason is paying off!
Drew Visscher (GM Ricky McCoy) | Duluth Warriors
Fishermen
Double-A
Double-A

Re: Charleston Times blog 23/7 edition

#8 Post by Fishermen »

Statesmen wrote:DB: Excited is not the word I would use. It doesn't look a strong or deep draft so we need to be extremely careful with our picks. Ok, everyone is in the same boat but we must do better with our picks than everyone else. I have our draft team locked in the basement and they better come up with good picks or they wont be coming out.

CA: Your joking, aren't you?
This CA has no clue at all. These mofo mathletes thrive in their man-cave. The league is doomed once Charleston's draft team goes into Beautiful Mind mode.
Andy (Sim, Chaan-Shu)
GM Gloucester Fishermen
DavidB
Little Leaguer
Little Leaguer

#9 Post by DavidB »

Charleston Times reporter Charles Asnotalent managed to grab a few quick words with GM Dave Barnett

CA: Are you all set for draft day?

DB: Well, the scouting team have been let out their room. They have done a good job but now think stink to high heaven so have been sent home for a shower.

CA: With picks at 6, 9 and 19 in the first round, do you know who you are taking?

DB: Now that would be telling. We have some targets we would like to take but all depends on the other picks around us. The final call will be mine and I wont be messing it up.

CA: What about later rounds?

DB: That will be more of tombola pick, put your hand in it and pull out a player, might get lucky, might not.

With that, the Gm waLked round a ladder, rubbed his rabbit foot and made sure his 3 leaf shamrock was still in his pocket.
David Barnett
GM Scottish Claymores

Return to “Charleston Statesmen”