CP Reward: Converting Player to Coach

Find Information on Earning CP and Current Team Totals Here
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

CP Reward: Converting Player to Coach

#1 Post by Borealis »

I shall start by quoting the Constitution:
Constitution wrote:• Convert Player to Personnel: Exchange 20 CP + an article ... Upon conversion, new personnel will be assigned ratings by OOTP. Additional points for upgrading ratings will be granted to GMs selecting this reward depending on the role assigned to the new personnel. Players converted to Managers/Bench Coaches will receive 240 points to be distributed to ratings at will. Players converted to Hitting/Pitching Coaches will receive 80 points to be distributed to ratings at will.
On the surface, this seems straight forward, but it has come to the attention of the Board that Players converted to Managers could load those 240 points into favorable elements in their ratings, and then have them not manage at all, but become Uber Hitting/Pitching coaches - which needless to say, defeats the spirit of the reward and the Spirit of the League (see the CSA, page 1 of the Constitution). I believe the intent was that Managers needed more points than a coach, seeing a manager may 'oversee' more of the 'development' of the team, than a coach, who oversees really just one piece of that pie. I believe this was John's intent when this reward was created, but the risk of abusing this has reared it's ugly head.

Of course, when this was created all those years ago, this wasn't a reward people choose, but now that we are 23 season in and have a history and interesting character's whose legacy we want to extend, this is a reward that is getting more interest - we have 6 requests just this season - and not all teams have their CP requests in.

The risk of abusing this privilege, of course, puts the Board into the position of tracking the managers that have been created with those 240 points and make sure they stay managers - a task that seems like unnecessary work. So, as a result of the potential for foul play, we are re-constructing this reward such that the decision-making process will take on a greater part of this process.

As of now - and this includes the 2028 class of Converted Players, the 240/80 point manager/coach portion of the reward will be replaced with a flat 150 points - to be distributed as you see fit, regardless of what position you want that player to be. You want a manager? That'll no doubt influence the distribution of your points. Want a Pitching coach/Hitting coach? You'll likely want to distribute them differently, as you probably will if you want a Short A coach or a Major League Manager. This keeps it clean, you can move them from Manager to Coach; Coach to Manager, and that's your business.

It was also suggested that the category of elements (and there are 7 of them) should be made public, so that a GM has an idea what they are working with. It's not a State Secret - start a solo league and look it up yourself, if you really wanted to, so here they are:

Handle Players, Handle Vets, Handle Rookies, Teach Hitting, Teach Pitching, Teach Fielding, and Teach Running.

What I will not do is tell you what the OOTP generated numbers are for your Converted player. You will have to tell me, blind in a sense, where you want your 150 points to go. What I will tell you is if you have any leftover points - suggesting that one area has maxed out. I will do this once.

Those of you who have already selected this reward, you will all have 150 points to use. If you chose to rescind this selection, that is your prerogative. If you want to continue with this reward, just make sure that the position and level is correct in your CP post. Now that you know how many points and what the categories are, please PM me as to what your preferred distribution of points will be. Do not post them in the CP forum - Consider your distribution State Secret...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Alleghenies
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Re: CP Reward: Converting Player to Coach

#2 Post by Alleghenies »

What's the most in a category we can give someone?
Gregory Abcarian
General Manager
West Virginia
Evas
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Evas »

The other important note is that the parameters are on a 200 point scale.

What I don't know is what a typical starting value might be. 50? 100?
Kevin V. - GM of the Shin Seiki Evas.
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star
Location: Spokane, Washington State, United States of America

#4 Post by Sandgnats »

I suppose it depends on what the AI generates first.
RJ Ermola
Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Borealis »

Sandgnats wrote:I suppose it depends on what the AI generates first.
This is truth...
Evas wrote:The other important note is that the parameters are on a 200 point scale.
This is also true....
Evas wrote:What I don't know is what a typical starting value might be. 50? 100?
Don't look at that man behind the curtain...
Alleghenies wrote:What's the most in a category we can give someone?
Didn't mean to ignore this question, I'll have a response soon...

-- Tue May 28, 2019 2:05 pm --
Alleghenies wrote:What's the most in a category we can give someone?
OK... sorry to be slow on this, but we will say the most you can spend on any one category is 70.
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions

Return to “Contribution Points Awards & Tracking”